Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sports Festival




So this Sunday was the Sports Festival for Kanna-machi, Monday is the offical holiday. YAY! My first sports day ^_^. I've been seeing the elementary kids getting all the preperation ready since it was going to be held at their school. I've seen both the elementary and junior high kids practice like crazy for the competetion they werwe going to participate in.

When last week finally rolled around I was handed schedule for the day, what event was going to happen when, which students were helping out with the races and what they were going to do, and what races the teacher were going to participate in. As I was looking things over the last list caught my eye since the only word I could understand in it was Allie written in Katakana...WHAT!! ^0^ I look over to see what I was doing and my name was under the... i don't know since most of the stuff they gave me is in Kanji!

So I asked Takamitsu, the English teacher that I work with, what i was suppose to be doing for the sports day. He was "oh, your going to be doing the pan rellay." and left it at that...he's not good at explaining things. Well i thought yay, i get to do the pan relay...i kinda wanted to do that.

I was able to get more information out of the teacher i sit next to at the elelmentary school since she used to be an English teacher. I was going to do a three legged race with some student's parent and she pointed it out on the schedule.

The actual day was long with it starting at 830 and finishing at 4 pm. I was also going to attened an enkai(a drinking party) 530 for the new teacher and it was kinda for me as well. So it was a nice and sunny day which later turned to a hot day, it was about 80 degrees that day. Anywho the schools have three teams each, red, blue, and yellow.

This is how the day passed:
30 min- opening ceremony
10 min -a weird stretching routine that the whole town knows how to do, seriously (i got that filmed and will be posted in my photobucket)

it was then...elementary race, elderly people playing a "throw the birdie into a basket thing", elementary dance, elementary race, kindergardent dance and then race, elementary race involving rolling a big paper machi looking ball with the team matching the ball color.

Elderly people playing croket, kindergardenters game thing:split into two teams, one wearing a red hat, the other with a white hat, siting on ther parents shoulder trying to get their classmastes hats off (this was really cute espcially with the song they were playing along with it)^_^

It was then the jr high relay race with the winning team already predicted since no matter what during practice always ending with the same results. A weird group game, consisting of some students, adults and some elderly people. It continued like this for the whole day.

Then my event came up, didn't know who i was paired up with. they explained what was going to happen but it was all in Japanese but Takamitsu didn't explain any of it to me -_-
well, i got the idea of what was happening when we actually started. well we got second ^^ woo-hoo!

All in all it was a nice day and it counted as if we went to work...i didn't know that so i got up tuesday thinking i had to go to school but no one was at the bus stop. since sunday was a day of work we got tuesday off... no one told me this -_-

oh well it was another day off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Japanese people are weird -_-







hair

amhp said...

Great to read your posts and look at the photos. Your care package is being shipped via "sister freight service" so you should be getting it soon! Love from Anita

The WORK BLOG said...

hey hunny. i hope ure doing okay. its cold here but things are going ok. i miss u tons. meli's fallin in love, mae's still with marc, my roommate steph is still cool. reed is still gay. oh but alison got a brand new awesome 60k a year job!

im okay :) see yah